Wednesday, September 5, 2007
I'd like to add to Kendal's entry about the Curse of the Analytical Brain. Now, when Ms.Jess first told us that being an A1 HL Student would make it hard for us to read/watch/see something and not completely analyze it from head to toe, to be completely honest, I didn't think she was serious. That was of course, up until Kendal and I went to the mall the other day after basketball practice. Seriously, we had walked by that store SO many times, but we'd never realized it. We saw that poster and started to make all these different comments about the picture of this girl and how her flawless skin couldn't possibly have anything to do with the anti-wrinkling cream she was advertising. She was so young, and her face had no emotion to it; she seemed as if she was completely oblivious to what was happening around her, so even if she did have wrinkles, they didn't have the chance to show themselves! Aside from that was the fact that as Kendal and I were analyzing this poster we realized that not only had her skinned been tampered (computer effects) but also her eye colour had been changed! From a distance you'd just suspect that she was wearing contacts, but up close you can see the real deal, and her eye colour, was far from real. I've worn contacts, and never before have I seen a pair that were perfectly round, with one little square covering the pupil of her eye. I wonder if the model for that poster even knew that they were going to use a computer to tamper with her face, because if it was me, i surely wouldn't want that! Yeah, I'd look good on the poster, but then if someone saw me in person after seeing the poster, they probably wouldn't even recognize me!

I don't see the point in all of this false advertising. It's starting to make the world so fake. Honestly, when it comes to buying moisturisers, shampoos, conditioners, soaps, etc. I never know which ones to buy! Every single advertisement says the same thing. Basically, in my opinion, this world is just turning into a place where the process of trial and error has to take place on a day to day basis. You just have to take your pick and hope it doesn't turn out unlucky. If people are going to advertise, they should at least try to make their commercials, posters, etc. just the tiniest bit more realistic. I mean c'mon, maybe if their model had of been an elderly lady (old enough to have wrinkles), I would have believed that the anti-wrinkle cream works, but having a girl that's in her early 20's advertising for an anti-wrinkle cream... that doesn't even begin to fool me!

Labels: ,

posted by four and a half at 9:31 PM |

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 8:07 AM, Blogger watergirl said........
I love it that your analytical brains are kicking in so early! *tears of joy*