Saturday, November 17, 2007
have you ever forced yourself to like somthing you previously felt like barfing on everytime you looked at it? well i have, and it seems so stupid to do so, but i cant help it. i like being in on the fun, and when i see someone enjoying something that i cant, it gets me feeling really irritated. im not talking about forcing myself to like someone i dont. im not talking about forcing myself to join a sport that i hate. im talking about forcing myself to like food that i hated tasting.

i know it might sound weird, but one of the things that i had to force myself to like was the kraft's macaroni and cheese pack thing. there was nothing particularly disgusting about it - i liked the taste of cheese and i liked macaroni - but there was just something about that didn't taste right. maybe it was the mixture of cheese and macaroni that seemed awkward to me. anyway, i just didnt like it. i think my want to like macaroni and cheese started when i saw how much my brothers enjoyed it when they were eating it. i would see them stuff their faces and eat more and more boxes until they were about to pop, but when they had me try it, i couldnt help but feel dissapointed. when i say that i forced myself to like it, i dont mean that consiously said to myself "EAT THE MACARONI AND CHEESE! EAAAT IT!!" but it was more of a subconcious thought saying, "aw cmon, look at your brothers eating it. they make it look so good. you know it tastes good. u just have to believe it tastes good... yeeaaaa its so yummy." and eventually i grew to love it. i would join my brothers in their want to stuff their faces with mac and cheese and i would have such a fun time doing it. i hate to admit it, but i also think that there was another reason i forced myself to like macaroni and cheese. i think it was because i wanted to be apart of my brothers' lives. i mean, i was always the one left out becuase i was so young in their eyes and also because i was a girl. just once, i wanted to be invloved in the fun to. im ashamed to admit it, but its true. =)

there is one other thing i forced myself to like. Durian.
when i was little, my family and i would very frequently drive up to Puncak and stay at my grandparents' villa and everytime we went, we always brought durian. i suppose it was some sort of tradition. anyway, my brothers always went on and on about how yummy durian tasted (i guess by now you can tell how much influence my brothers had on me)and that i should try it. by the way they described the taste of this spikey looking fruit, i imagined it to be the best tasting fruit i have and will have tasted in my whole entire life, so u can imagine my dissapointment when i took the a bite so big that my felt like the sides of my mouth were going to tear, into this so called amazing fruit and discovered that it tasted like poop. i couldnt believe that my brothers thought that this tasted good. ofcourse i didnt want to dissapoint them so i pretended that it tasted OK. the next time i had a taste of the durian fruit, wasnt until 2 years after. what possessed me to try this disgusting fruit was the thought that maybe my taste of things had changed over the last 2 years and i might actually enjoy its taste this time. after all, my brothers are in love with it, so how bad could it be? i quickly remembered why i had stayed away from this fruit for so long. i still tasted like poop. over the years my brothers were insistent on making me try the fuit again and again, and i was insistent on making myself like it. i suppose i grew to like it over time becuase it was given to me to try several times and today im actually happy that i had come to like this fruit because it actually tastes really REALLY good. best fruit in the world.

even though i have made myself like different foods, there are still some out there that ive given up on. i cannot bring myself to like mooncake, even though my whole family loves it, and i cant bring myself to like mushrooms. so you see, it is possible to force yourself to like food if the want for it is great, but there are just some things people cant force themselves to like so dont put pressure on those who dont share the same taste in food as you!

Labels:

posted by four and a half at 1:32 PM |

0 Comments: