Tuesday, November 6, 2007
I know that by going to a Christian school, not a lot of people will agree with me on this but i dont care. i think that halloween is one of the funnest events of the year. people always say, "what?! if u celebrate halloween, its like your worshiping the devil!! halloween originated from witchcraft and satanic rituals. you shouldn't celebrate it." but i personally think that thats stupid. yes, halloween might have a creepy and an ungodly history, but the reason i celebrate it isnt to worship the devil or anything satanic. i simply find it a fun time to get together with my family to carve pumpkins and argue about whose pumpkin looks the best. i find it fun to get together with my friends to organize a halloween party and to go to that party in a costume that my mom helped make. not everyone who celebrates halloween is evil.

my mom has two preschools in jakarta, and every year she holds halloween parties where the children have the chance to dress up as anything they want to be. for one day, the children get to become their favorite super hero or their all time favorite role model. what other yearly event would they have the chance to do that? halloween is one of those days where the children have the permission to go insane and are able to eat as much candy as they possibly can. its a day to have fun.

one of my best memories of when i was younger was during halloween. have you ever had the chance to go 'trick-or-treat'ing? i went when i was about 7 years old and i remember it to this day. my brothers and i dressed up as ghosts and we went to the pondok indah complex with my mother to join the trick-or-treat event. the most distinct memory i have of that night was the memory of my pumpkin bag filling up with more and more candy as i knocked on more and more doors shouting, "TRICK OR TREAT!!" after my brothers and i had knocked on every door of the complex, we had successfully filled up two whole pumpkin bags each of candy. on the way home, my mom didnt let me eat my sweets, so once i reached my room, i became a mad person, stuffing my face with as many chocolates i could and after a few minutes, i felt like i was going to throw up. i had never felt so sick of chocolate before in my life but i was officially in love with it. Too bad i didnt get to go 'trick-or-treat'ing the year after that.

one of the bigger problems adults have with halloween is the fact that small children often dress up as ghouls, pumpkins, witches, wizards or goblins. ive never understood why this upsets people. to a child its just fun to dress up. they dont care if they are dressed as a rabit, a cowboy or a ghost. they attach no satanic meaning to what theyre wearing. children just enjoy a good time and halloween is just one big party.
posted by four and a half at 4:45 PM |

0 Comments: