Saturday, November 3, 2007
Apologies for the late entry. On top of losing my voice again, I just don't have anything to write about at the moment. This is something I wrote a long, long, long time ago. Before I moved here. I think it started out as a fanfic for something? I don't even remember...

----------------------------------------------

I was on top of the world and I liked it there. With already 15 movies to my credit I had been made the new queen of Hollywood in a just a few short years. You get used to it, you know. The “fame” thing. People screaming your name wherever you go, seeing your pictures on billboards and magazines, being the new “it” girl. Yeah. At 24 I’ve gotten more than I could’ve ever dreamed of. Except for the golden man. You would think that after four consecutive Oscar noms you would eventually win. The fame and money is a plus but the recognition and respect is what every real actor strives for. I promised myself when I was younger that I would get that statuette before I turned 26 (30 seemed like too big of a number). I’m not giving up just yet…

So what was on the agenda for today? Radio interviews, and then a press conference, and then a photo shoot. The rest of the day was free.

“Step on it, Henry. We’re running a bit late,” I cried. Henry, although a bit daft sometimes, was as reliable as a driver could get, and could maneuver us through the busy streets of
New York better than anyone else around.

“You got it, boss,” he replied cheerfully. I don’t know how he does it. Put on that same smile everyday and mean it.

We took off through the busyness of the city and I found myself standing outside of the radio station. “You just finished a box-office hit. What’s next?” And then answering relentless question after relentless question at the press conference. “No, I will not be doing a romantic comedy with Will Farrell.” And then with a camera. “And pose. Smile. Good! Beautiful, beautiful!” It doesn’t take much to impress these photographers.

The day was just a big blur. As everything are these days. Not that it’s boring it’s just that after a while you tire of the game. Not that I’m complaining that I lead the life that I do. I was waiting for my break as an Oscar-winning actress but maybe I had to go looking for it myself. We were on the ride back home when my thoughts were interrupted by my phone.

“Hello?”

“Mel?” It was my manager and second father figure, David. He was the only person other than my parents who called me that.

“Who did you think it was?”

“Ok, good. Look, I’ve just received an important phone call from the people of
MGM. I hope you’re free tonight because we want to discuss a possible movie role for you. This could be your award-winning break, baby!”

My tone remained unchanged. I had heard that phrase too many times before. “They want to talk about it over dinner? Can’t this wait?” I really had nothing to do that night but I was in no mood to sit through three hours of incessant blabber during the dinner. No way was I going to go through four more movies that were “Oscar-worthy” but ended up with nothing after the ceremony. It’s time to do things my way.

“Mr. Smith has a very busy schedule, Mel. I don’t think he can do it any other time. And he wants to get this mattered settled as soon as possible so they can start pre-production.”

“I don’t know…”

“I know you have nothing planned for tonight. You can’t escape out of this one.”

“Well, I guess if I have to -”

“Great! I’ll send you the directions in a few minutes. Be there by
7:00.” Beep. And he left me with that. Well, I guess my free night is off the agenda now.

I sighed, but who knows? He might be right this time. I forced myself to believe what I was saying. One dinner wouldn’t hurt. And I’m sure the world doesn’t want me to waste a perfectly good night eating ice cream and crying my eyes out on old black-and-white films.

Labels:

posted by Pb, lead at 11:58 AM |

0 Comments: