Monday, December 3, 2007
So it is 3 days into December. The stocking are hung the tree is decorated and christmas music is playing throughout the town... but i still can't seem to get into the christmas spirit. There is one thing that is missing from the season this year... snow! Back in the US the coming of the holiday season was marked by cold weather, the downfall of snow and icicles hanging off the trees. Without that i just can't bring myself to believe that christmas is coming. I mean of course i believe it but it just doesn't feel like it to me. I keep blasting "chestnuts roasting on an open fire"... one of my favorite christmas songs... in my room but that doesn't seem to do it. Last night i even turned my AC up on high and put my big comfy sweats on. Then i put my Mariah Carey christmas album on with some hot chocolate and started sewing christmas bags (what?!?!)... and ill admit that for a time it actually did work. That is until i looked out my window to find a big palm tree and remembered that i am in the middle of tropical weather... not Oregon's frigid winters. I don't know why snow is something that means "CHRISTMAS IS COMING" to me but it really does. Usually on christmas we make hot chocolate and cider and bundle up in out cute sweaters and boots and go for a christmas walk. Or we sit by the fire all warm and toasty eating carmel corn and cookies....ahhh the joys of christmas in America. Usually we get in the hot tube and dare each other to roll in the snow and then get back in the water while burning our skin off from the shock of the temperature. Usually we go sledding or have a huge snowball fight. I guess you could have a mango fight or something here but they might hurt a little more.
So this year i think me and my family will start some new traditions. Maybe there is no snow but hey we can still find ways to feel warm and fuzzy inside. After all christmas time is supposed to be a time to gather up all your family and enjoy each others company on the day our savior was born. So rain, shine, snow or... cookie dough?... i will get into the christmas spirit this year!
~Hana
posted by four and a half at 4:27 PM |

0 Comments: